Why so green and lonely? Everything's going to be alright, just you wait and see.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Persuasive?

Found these sitting on my hard drive. I ran across them sometime last year at a site promoting abstinence (which I have nothing against). Um, "telling dad" should be the least of your concerns -- unless he's into honour killings. Not that the dirty-slut shamety-shame strategy isn't effective on stupid people, but ... come on.

If the teen scratches off FALSE to the "I intend to wait until I'm married" question, they are faced with a skull and crossbones which signifies that they'll probably die from AIDS. I don't get why marriage itself has anything to do with it; they should just come out and say "nobody should have more than one sexual partner in their entire life." I guess nobody expects to get divorced anyway, so "wait until marriage" sort of implies one partner.

I wonder how many people bother getting tested for STIs these days. Besides the pregnancy issue, I guess condoms are a compromise so that people don't have to ask their new partner "have you been tested for sexual diseases" since that's non-sexy-talk. I have to admit, the "even with proper condom use, HIV has a 15% chance of transmitting" statistic seems surprising (they didn't teach that number in my sex ed class).

Update: Mike pointed out that the statistic is really "condoms only reduce risk of transmission by 85%" which means that there's still 15% of the original risk which in general is not 100% to begin with but more like 0.1% according to Wikipedia's HIV article. This seems shockingly low considering there are parts of the world where 15-50% of adults are infected with HIV.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not exactly the same thing (well in fact it's kind of the opposite), but I saw a MADD/LCBO ad on TV on Friday that sort of weirded me out a bit.

The show some scenes with text like "he hid her shoes", "he took his keys", and then they close with "stop your friends from driving drunk. Anyway you can".

One of them was "she made him spend the night" or something like that. I can't remember the exact wording, and they made it deliberately ambiguous, I think, but it got me thinking...how many people (applies mostly to women, I would guess) actually WOULD sleep with their friends for no reason other than to keep them from driving home drunk?

12:54 PM

 
Anonymous Mike said...

Oh that comment was by me, by the way :)

12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Mike said...

Also, HIV does NOT have a 15% chance of transmitting with condom use. Condom use REDUCES the transmission risk by 85%, but the HIV transmission rate (for unprotected sex) is WAAY lower than 100%. I don't recall the numbers, but HIV is actually one of the hardest STIs to transmit. Even for unprotected anal sex (which is the easiest way to spread disease this side of the blood stream), it wouldn't be close to 100%, I wouldn't think.

1:01 PM

 
Blogger Andrew said...

Hey Mike,

I'd love to see the ambiguous ad. Do you think I know any girls like that? Maybe I should take up heavy drinking. And driving. Or at least pretend to.

And thanks for making the distinction clear on the transmission rate. I guess if you start a long term relationship with someone who has HIV and doesn't know it, then you're going to get it too eventually. Does this mean one-night stands are safer?

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home